Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Warm Brussels Sprouts Slaw #FoodnFlix

Our FoodnFlix selection this month was the teen comedy "Clueless", chosen by our illustrious leader, Heather, of All Roads Lead to the Kitchen.  Here is her invitation post.

Clueless

This movie is supposed to be a modern day take on the novel "Emma" by Jane Austen.  I have never read the novel so I had no idea what to expect with this movie. 

Clueless stars Alicia Silverstone as Cher and Stacy Dash as Cher's best friend, Dionne.  Cher remarks that they were both named after singers who now are famous for doing infomercials. 

It is a story about teenage angst that occurs even when your parents are very wealthy and you are able to attend the best schools and own all the teenage "must haves".  The students still suffer tragedy, Cher's mother is not living and her father is too busy making money to give Cher anything other than material goods.

They still separate into cliques.  You have the jocks, the nerds, the stoners and the mean girls.  But as with all people, there is more to a person than meets the eye.

Cher is not just a spoiled rich bitch.  She has a huge heart.  She worries about her friends.  She takes the "new kid" on as her own personal project to help her fit in at their school.  She tries to take care of her father, coaxing him to eat properly, take time for himself and get some rest.

Cher prides herself on being a master matchmaker and Dionne is her willing assistant. 



There is quite a bit of food in the movie, predominantly salads of all sorts. I decided to share with you today a Warm Brussels Sprouts Salad that will be perfect for your Holiday table.  I served this at Thanksgiving and it was a hit with my family.  If your family are lovers of these "little cabbages" they will be a hit at your house too.


The Brussels Sprouts are shredded and then tossed into a warm sweet and sour bacon dressing just until coated and wilted.  It is a great take on sweet and sour cabbage.  

This recipe, as with many of my recipes, comes from Cuisine at Home.  I made this recipe nearly as written.

Warm Brussels Sprouts Slaw
Very slightly adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #108

1 1/2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and shredded (I used shredder on my food processor)
1 pkg. thick sliced bacon, diced
1 lg. shallot, diced
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1 T. brown sugar
1 T. whole grain mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp.  Remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.  Drain pan reserving 2 tablespoons of the drippings.

Add the shallots to the drippings and cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes.  Stir in the vinegar, scraping up an browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Whisk in the sugar and mustard.  Season with salt and pepper.  Return the bacon to the pan along with the shredded Brussels Sprouts.  Toss until wilted, about 2 minutes.  Serve immediately.  Print Recipe






10 comments:

  1. This literally has me salivating, and I'm thinking it'd be perfect for our family get-together this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you had me at "sweet and sour bacon dressing", the salad looks amazing and full of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try this salad. That dressing reminds me of a wilted lettuce salad that my mom would make with fresh lettuce from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be a good dressing for any kind of greens you would like to wilt.

      Delete
  4. Always up for a salad. Just the right amount of healthy and with the bacon, little indulgent. - Kimberly (coffee and casseroles)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love Brussels sprouts and this salad looks delectable. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.