Saturday, June 17, 2017

Pot Roast Stew for #SoupSaturdaySwappers

This month, my friend, Sneha of Sneha's Recipe, is hosting Soup Saturday Swappers.  Our blogging community really allows us to see just how small our huge world really is.  Sneha lives in India and yet we communicate with each other nearly daily.  We belong to many of the same blogging groups and we are friends with foodies and writers from every corner of the earth.  It is one of my greatest pleasures, connecting with like minded people from different cultures and walks of life.

Sneha chose the theme English Stew, which through some of us for a loop.  We don't tend to think of our own food as cultural and international....we think those descriptions are from food outside of our own countries.  I am sure those that live in other countries feel the same way when one of us chooses their country from which to showcase a recipe.

A Google search for English Stew reveals the following:
"Vegetables (carrots, potatoes, onions, beans, peppers, tomatoes, etc.), meat (tougher meats such as beef), water or stock or wine or beer. Cookbook: Stew Media: Stew. A stew is a combination of solid food ingredients that have been cooked in liquid and served in the resultant gravy."   Stew - Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stew

I have already posted several stew recipe on this blog.  My normal, every day, often made stew recipe, made in a crockpot, an Irish Stew, a Chicken and Sweet Potato stew, a Caribbean Pork stew, Dalma, a vegetable stew and even a Peanut stew.



I went into my freezer to pull out some stew meat and spied a pot roast right on top.  Sounded good to me since I hate digging in the freezer, usually leaving that job for my sous chef, Frank.  I found some carrots and parsnips in the refrigerator and some onions and canned tomatoes in the pantry.  The perfect start to a wonderful, savory stew.


I opened a bottle of wine to use in the stew and to enjoy with the stew.  Yes, it is a French wine but that doesn't change the fact that it is an English Stew.  


I allowed it to cook slowly on my stovetop in my cast iron dutch oven for several hours until the meat was fork tender and the flavors were melded into a rich, delectable goodness.


I served it up with some mashed potatoes, sauteed beet greens and, of course, that lovely French wine.  It was a perfect dinner.  Thanks Sneha for hosting this month and choosing such a great theme.



You will find links to all the other English Stew recipes immediately following mine.  Interested in joining Soup Saturday Swappers?  Just leave a comment below or email me at wendyklik1517@gmail.com with a link to your blog and email address and I will be happy to add you on for next month when we are celebrating Chilled Soups hosted by Paula of The Saucy Southerner.

Pot Roast Stew

1 (2-3 lb) pot roast
2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
3 carrots, scraped and cut into chunks
3 parsnips, scraped and cut into chunks
1 c. dry red wine
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes with their juices

Trim the beef of fat and bones, cut into 2" chunks, season well with salt and pepper.  Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over med high heat, add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant and translucent.  Add the seasoned beef chunks, cook and stir until well browned.  Add the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Add the carrots, parsnips, tomatoes and their juices.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2-3 hrs, stirring occasionally and adding additional liquid (water or beef broth) if needed. Print Recipe

More Wonderful English Stews



8 comments:

  1. Peanut Stew? This is a new one for me. All of your stew recipes sound lovely...too hard to choose just one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peanut stew is from Zambia and absolutely incredible, Colleen.

      Delete
  2. I love comfort food and this would be a super meal on a chilly day! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks and sounds like the perfect comfort food, and I'm sure the wine added a wonderful deep flavor to the mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had my mouth watering. I don't usually make stews in the summer but now I'm adding some of these ingredients to my grocery list!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this stew Wendy! makes a complete meal.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.