Thursday, March 16, 2017

Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew for #ImprovCookingChallenge

Improv Cooking Challenge is open to food bloggers and foodies alike. Two ingredients are assigned each month and you can let your imagination run wild, making a recipe that includes them. Share on your blog and/or in this Facebook group.  This  month's ingredients are Potatoes and Chives.

I am back on the FMD eating plan for the Lenten season and we are not allowed potatoes however we are allowed sweet potatoes 5 out of the 7 days a week so I figured that would work for this challenge.


I found this recipe in the Fast Metabolism Diet Cookbook and knew that it would be perfect for a busy day that was scheduled.  You know, one of those days when you leave the house a 8 am and don't return until 5 pm.  One of those days that I lived with for 30 years until I retired and that many of you still have to deal with daily. 

I  learned during those days that the slow cooker was my friend.  If you find yourself wondering what to serve for dinner on those busy days, this recipe is perfect.  Not only is it quick and easy to put together but it is healthy and nutritious as well.  It is made to be Phase 1 friendly but would make a great meal for Phase 3 as well.

I adapted this recipe slightly, I lessened the amount to make 4 servings instead of 6, I had some leftover cooked bacon that I crumbled and used so I did not brown the chicken breasts and lastly, I substituted chives for the scallions to meet the ingredients for today's challenge. I also found that I needed to add additional broth halfway through the cooking time so I am putting in additional at the beginning of the recipe.

Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
slightly adapted from Fast Metabolism Diet Cookbook

5 slices cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
4 small chicken breasts (1 lb total)
3/4 c. organic chicken broth
2 T. minced chives
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into quarters
1 onion, diced
1/3 c. uncooked quinoa
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 sprigs fresh thyme

Place bacon and chicken in the crockpot.  Season with salt and pepper. Add the chives, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, onion and quinoa.  Sprinkle with the garlic and pour in the vinegar and water.  Add the thyme sprigs and turn on low.  Cook for 6-8 hours.  Remove stems from thyme before serving. Garnish with additional chives. Print Recipe

More Potatoes and Chives inspired recipes






6 comments:

  1. Oh Wendy! That stew sounds soooooo hearty & delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...sounds like great comfort food! I find myself substituting sweet potatoes often. They are so delicious...and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like such a cozy recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.