Friday, September 16, 2016

Crab Stuffed Flounder and a Book Review #FishFridayFoodies

A while back I won a copy of  The Alaskan Laundry by Brendan Jones.  This is a coming of age book for a young woman who had suffered a terrible tragedy shortly before the second terrible tragedy of losing her mother.  These two tragedies caused her to shut down from those she loved and who loved her in return.  She fled to Alaska to escape those relationships, where, through hard work and determination she was able to find success, attain goals, love herself and allow herself to love and be loved by others.  I really enjoyed this novel.


The protagonist finds work first at  a Fish Hatchery and works her way up to the top of ladder when she finally lands a job as a King Crabber.  This book was very timely as we are celebrating Stuffed Fish today at Fish Friday Foodies and I decided to stuff my fish with crab.

Our friend, Sneha of Sneha's Recipe, is hosting this month over at a little group I started called Fish Friday Foodies.  Each month one of us chooses a theme and the rest of us make a recipe that fits the theme. We post said recipe on the 3rd Friday of the month. Sneha chose "Stuffed Fish" for September's theme. Want to join us next month?  Just pop me an email (wendyklik1517@gmail.com) or reply to this post with your blog url and I will gladly add you to the group.  This group really is a joint effort. Besides taking turns hosting we also share each other on social media and our friend, Heather of All Roads Lead to the Kitchen created this wonderful graphic for us to use.


Sneha invited us to stuff any fish or seafood, whole or fillets, with any stuffing that called to you. After reading this book, crab was calling to me loud and clear.  I wanted to make a dish that would not only be delicious but also be FMD friendly for my eating plan.  I was initially going to stuff some sole fillets but there was none to be had at my local grocers so I bought some flounder instead. I'm glad I did since the dish turned out so well.


As you can see, one of my rolls popped open which is fine because it allows you to see all the wonderful goodness inside these fillets.  It is a quick and easy dish to put together and was wonderful to serve to company.  The flounder was light and flaky and the fillling was chock full of wonderful crab claw meat.  The entire dish was Phase 3 Friendly making it perfect for every Fish Friday.

Thanks Sneha for choosing such a great theme!  

Thanks to the ladies at The Book Club Cookbook and HMH for sending me The Alaskan Laundry to read and review.  

Thank you for stopping by to read my blog and share this meal.  Please scroll past my recipe to see what the others from #FishFridayFoodies have dished up today.

Crab Stufffed Flounder (Phase 3 Friendly)

2 t. olive oil
1 stalk celery, minced
1/2 small onion, minced
salt and pepper to taste
6 oz. crab claw meat
1 slice sprouted grain bread
2 lbs. flounder fillets
lemon pepper seasoning to taste 
sea salt to taste
Juice of 1 lemon

In a small skillet, over med high heat, cook celery and onion that has been seasoned with salt and pepper until tender and translucent.  Set aside to cool.

Place bread in a food processor or blender and pulse until it becomes fine crumbs.  Place in a medium bowl.  Add the crab meat, that has been picked over to remove any cartilage or shells. to the bread crumbs along with the seasoned, cooled vegetables. Stir to combine.

Divide the crab meat mixture between the number of fillets placing a dollop of each onto the center of each fillet and rolling up crosswise.  Place seam side down in a baking dish that has been treated with cooking spray.  Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning, sea salt and the juice of 1 lemon.

Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your fillets, until fish is flaky and cooked through.  Print Recipe

Let's see what the others are serving up!










13 comments:

  1. Crab and flounder are a match made in heaven. That looks great. P~

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great book...and I love the look of your fish! Wish I could stick a fork in my monitor and grab a bite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy the book Cam and I know you would enjoy the dinner.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great book. I would love to escape to Alaska. Better yet, Hawaii! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like coming to age stories and I especially liked that this one had a strong female character as the protagonist.

      Delete
  4. I love anything stuffed with crab! This looks delicious, and love the story of the book! I'm with Camilla!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I am part of this group, learning so much. Every fish preparation is amazing. Your dish too is so classic, love crab meat. Must try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your hard work this month Sneha. Great theme.

      Delete
  6. Oh Wendy, this is a recipe that wants to steal my heart away! I love a mild flakey white fish, and when you stuff it with crab you've truly taken my breath away! Love, love, love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a deliciously satisfying meal! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.