Thursday, May 5, 2016

Felize Cinco de Mayo

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone.  Are you celebrating today?  We love Mexican food, I make it here at home and we often go Mexican when we are eating out.  But you would not find me setting foot in a Mexican Restaurant today.  I have visions of mile long lines and even longer waits.  Of course, we can always sip Margaritas while we wait but I'm afraid it would be a 2 or 3 Margarita wait time and then I would be to trashed to enjoy the food.  So we will enjoy Cinco de Mayo at home.  Frank makes the best Margaritas anyway.

We celebrated Frank's birthday yesterday and I'm feeling lazy today so I am going to share with you two three of the easiest recipes in the history of Mexican food.  I'm not sure how authentic these recipes are.  In fact, I'm sure they are not authentic at all but they are delicious and easy peasy....Yep, the perfect recipes.  Enjoy!!


I changed two to three up there because I thought you might want to know how I prepare our refried beans.  Open a can of beans, stir in a  1/2 cup of your favorite salsa and heat through.

Easy Enchiladas
adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 T. olive oil
8 (8") flour tortillas, softened in the microwave
1 (8oz) pkg shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 c. milk
1/4 c. sour cream
1 c. chicken broth
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles

Saute chicken and onions in olive oil over med high heat until onions are softened and chicken is cooked through.  Divide this mixture among the tortilla and place seam side down in a 9x13" baking pan that has been treated with cooking spray.  In the same pan used to cook the chicken, melt the butter over med heat, stir in the flour and cook until brown and nutty smelling.  Whisk in the milk, sour cream and chicken broth.  Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir int the chiles and half of the cheese.  Pour over the enchiladas.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake in a preheated 350* oven until browned and bubbly, about 30 minutes.  Print Recipe

Rice Steamer Mexican Rice
adapted from Hamilton Beach

2 c. rice
2 c. water
1 (15 oz) can tomatoes with green chiles
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
1/2 t. chili powder
1/4 t. cumin

Place all ingredients in a rice steamer and cook per manufacturers specifications for steamed rice. Print Recipe

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! Mexican is one of our favorite eats too. And I had to laugh about the can of refried beans! I haven't added the salsa but I always add cheese. Oh for this Whole 30 to be over!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had time to get over to your Whole 30 blog. I was wondering how it was going.

      Delete
  2. Happy belated birthday to Frank!
    I bet the food is much better at home too and you are right the lines would be very long.
    The recipes sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.