Tuesday, January 6, 2015

French Bistro Chicken--Kind of.....

This recipe was inspired by a cookbook that I picked up a number of years ago from a restauarant, Schuler's, that is nowhere near my home but one which we frequent whenever we travel south out of the State by car Tor when returning home from a vacation.

Schuler's is a family restaurant first established in 1909 and has been kept in the family ever since.  It is located in the small town of Marshall, Michigan which is a town rich in history.  I have never had a bad meal at this restaurant and have many fond memories of happy meals spent with friends and family.


The cookbook is not only filled with wonderful recipes but great stories about the family, the restaurant business and the town of Marshall.  Some of you may be familiar with Shuler's Bar Scheeze that can be found in grocery stores around the country.

The recipe that inspired me today out of this book was a French Bistro Chicken.  However, as usual, I made my share of changes to the recipe.  I doubled the recipe, I braised it in the oven for about an hour and a half instead of simmering it on the stove and I didn't have any tarragon so I just skipped it.



French Bistro Chicken with Tomato Sauce
slightly adapted from Shuler's Fresh Recipes and Warm Memories

2 Whole Chickens, cut into 8 pieces
1 1/2 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste
4 T. olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. red wine vinegar
2 c. chicken broth
2 (14 oz) cans diced tomatoes

Place flour in a shallow bowl or pie tin and season with salt and pepper.  Heat 2 T. of the oil in a dutch oven over med high heat.  Dredge the chicken pieces and brown in batches until golden on both sides.  Remove batches to a plate and add olive oil as needed while browning the chicken.  When all chicken is browned and removed to plate, cook the onions and garlic in the dutch oven, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the pan, until softened and aromatic.  Add the vinegar and boil until nearly evaporated.  Add the chicken broth and boil until reduced by half.  Add the tomatoes and return the chicken to the pot.  Cover and place in a low 325* oven for 1-1 1/2 hrs.  Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.