Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thankful Thursday....

This has been another fast week around here.  We had such a nice dinner with friends at dinner last night, we sat and visited and laughed for nearly 3 hrs.  We would have stayed longer but we were the last customers left and figured the staff might want to go home.

I was up early working on all our salads for tonight.  I love fresh produce and I am thankful that I live in an area that has an abundance of it.  There will be around 12 people for dinner tonight so I am making 3 Beer Butt Chickens, and tons of salads to serve on the side.  I am making a lot of my favorites including Beet and Tomato Salad that I have shared with you in the past.  I was going to make my Broccoli Salad too but decided to make Creamed Cucumbers instead and I also made a very colorful Green Bean and Corn Salad as well as Potato Salad.  For dessert I am serving a Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake.


This is a very simple and pretty salad.
It is great when you have a couple ears of corn left to use.
I got this recipe from Fine Cooking.


Green Bean and Corn Salad
adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine

corn kernels from 2 large ear of corn.
Kosher Salt
1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1 small red onion, cut into thin slices
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/3 c. good olive oil
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring a med pot of water to boil, add corn kernels and blanch for 1 minute, remove from water and set aside to drain and cool.  Add a generous amount of kosher salt to the water and return to a boil.  Add the green beans and blanch until just tender, 3-4 minutes.  Remove to colander and rinse under cold water.  Set aside to drain.

Mash the garlic to a paste, using the side of your knife, place in a small bowl and whisk in the vinegar and olive oil.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Place vegetables into a serving bowl and toss with dressing.  Garnish with chopped fresh basil if desired. Print Recipe



This is the potato salad that my Mom used and probably her Mom before her.
If you are a product of the 50s or 60's it is probably the same recipe your Mom used.

Potato Salad

2 lbs. new potatoes
3 eggs
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1 c. Miracle Whip
1/4 c. sweet relish
2 t. yellow mustard
1 t. cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Place potatoes and eggs into a pot and cover with cold water.  Bring to a boil and then turn heat down and lightly boil for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork but not mushy.  If potatoes are not tender after 15 minutes remove eggs, run under cold water and set aside.  Be careful to not overcook the potatoes.

Once the potatoes are tender, drain and allow to cool to the touch.  When cool enough to handle remove the peels and cut potatoes into 1" chunks.  Place in a bowl and add vegetables. 

Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl whisking to combine.   Pour over potatoes and vegetables and mix well.  Peel eggs and roughly cut into chunks.  Fold into potato salad.  Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.  Print Recipe



This recipe came from Mom Klik with a couple of changes by me.

Creamed Cucumbers

2 cucumbers, seeded and cut into moons
1/2 of a small onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup sour cream
1 t. dill weed
2 dashes hot sauce
2 sprinkles of garlic powder

Place cucumbers and onion into a small bowl.  Combine remaining ingredients, pour over cucumbers and combine well.  Chill before serving.  Print Recipe

Not only are salads delicious during peak season but they are also very economical.  Hop on over to Thrifty Thursday for more money saving ideas.


3 comments:

  1. I will have to try your creamed cukes. My recipe is just a tad different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you now have all your recipes on here. Now when I want to make something I can just come over and browse through your recipes....this is so awesome. You are my cooking hero!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still a work in progress and now I won't be able to get back to it until Monday because there is no internet where I am going.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.