Monday, July 7, 2014

Chalk Painting Furniture for the Nursery

This morning Dawn and I met up and visited with Mom for a while and then we went to Painted Vintage Home to pick up some chalk paint.  I had an old laminate dresser and a book case that had belonged to my folks and had seen much better days that had been sitting in my garage for years.  Dawn had recently used chalk paint on some items in her house, including her bathroom vanity that was all formica, and it turned out beautifully.  When we were over for Tom and Jake's birthday I was admiring all her work and she told me it was easy peasy and that after the holiday weekend she would come over and we would tackle the items for the nursery.

Step 1


Dawn was raring to go!!
This is the dresser, you can see that it is an inexpensive laminate piece.
I did not think it would hold the paint but Dawn assured me it would and she was right.
This paint can be used on any surface and requires no prep work.
We just dusted the cobwebs off and started painting.
We also removed the handles on the dresser and filled the holes with wood putty before painting.
I wanted some cute girly handles for the dresser.


The product I used was by Maison Blanche.
  I chose a shade of yellow called Miel for the undercoat
 and a shade of pink called Debutante for the top coat.
  I used minwax paste wax to finish the projects.
You also need special brushes that Dawn had purchased previously.

Step 2


Then we painted the undercoat color.
We did not worry about painting in one direction or paint strokes.
We just kind on slapped it on.

Step 3


We put on 2 coats of the under color.
When we removed the third drawer we found that the rail had been held in place with duct tape.
We left that drawer out until Frank came home to fix the rail.


While the dresser was drying we started on the bookcase.
This bookcase was in my folk's house for as long as I can remember.
It held every edition of encyclopedia brittanica.


And this is what it looked like with the undercoat completed.

Step 4


We returned back to work on the dresser.
We only used one coat of the pink over the yellow.


And one coat of pick topcoat on the bookcase.
We took wet rags and distressed some areas of the furniture.
We simply rubbed until some of the yellow paint or wood was showing.
No rhyme or reason, just whatever we thought would look nice.

Step 5


I especially liked how the decorative woodwork looked after distressing.
The yellow showed through in some parts with bits of wood peeking through.

Step 6


Then we went to work with the wax.
Wax on , wax off, wax on, wax off.
Until you are dripping sweat and your arms feel like rubber.
That made it shine and feel soft and smooth.
When Frank got home we ran up to Hobby Lobby and got lots of goodies for the room
I found these cute daisy knobs for the dresser.

Dawn and I started on the pieces about 12:30 this afternoon.  When Frank got home at 4:30 we were all done.  Dawn went home to her family.  Frank and I went out for dinner and then shopping for the knobs for the dresser.  We got home, Frank fixed the drawer, we put the knobs on and now it is cocktail time.  A very productive Monday!!

I will be sharing this post at List it Tuesday  and Wednesday Whatsits.  What's on your list this week?
While chalk paint is not cheap it is a lot less expensive to pick up an ugly piece of furniture at the thrift store or repurpose furniture you already have that buying new so I am sharing this post at Thrifty Thursday as well.



9 comments:

  1. I am curious as to why they call it Chalk paint...looks amazing by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess because it looks chalky...you know if you were looking at a piece of colored chalk and the variations of color it holds? Kind of like that. The chalkiness disappears when you wax it and then it gets a shiny kind of patina.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea it was that easy! I am going to have to give this a try! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Alison. I was very surprised myself. It is really goof proof. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Fun! I love re-doing furniture. Well, actually it's a love-hate thing because I always hate the process but I love the end result so much I get amnesia about the whole process and end up taking on more projects. ;) I've only done one so far with chalk paint (my desk) but looooove how it came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jamie. This is the first furniture I have ever redone but I don't think it will be the last. In fact, we are going to paint the bunk bed set that will share the nursery to a glossy white instead of the original dark brown.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.