Monday, March 10, 2014

Mukimo Monday

Tonight for dinner, as part of our Lenten Journey, we are having Mukimo.  Mukimo is a dish native to Kenya.  The CRS rice bowl, this first week of Lent, is focusing on Kenya.  You can learn more about this here.

I have been doing pretty well with my journey thus far, although it is just the beginning and I am sure that I am in for serious testing as time goes on.  I am not a very disciplined person.  I am more of a "oh,oh  the deadline is tomorrow so I better do everything today that I haven't done in the past month" kind of person.


My brother, Larry, forwarded me an email last week from one of Mary's relatives who lives here in Michigan.  She is setting up a fundraiser for a friend of hers who has hit some hard times, lost her daughter and now has 2 granddaughters to raise. We made contact with her and Frank is donating a flight for 2 to be raffled off during the fundraiser.  She is also putting together baskets for both of the girls so we went shopping on Saturday and picked up 2 outfits for each of the girls to be put in the baskets.  This morning I took all these items over and dropped them off.  We are unable to attend the fundraiser but we are happy to be able to help in this small way.  

On the way home I picked up what I needed for the Mukimo.  It is humbling when you look at what other's in this world have to eat and compare it with your normal fare...We actually ate out at restaurants 3 times this weekend.  The recipe as printed feeds 4-6 people.  I cut the recipe down because there was just me and Frank for dinner tonight.  My portions for tonight's dinner are in parenthesis)


Mukimo is actually quite tasty.
It reminded me of Shepherd's Pie without the meat or gravy.


Mukimo
a CRS Rice Bowl recipe from Kenya

4 large potatoes, chopped (1 lg. potato)
1 small onion, diced (1/2 small onion)
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed (1 clove garlic)
1/2 t. salt
3 c. spinach or other leafy green, chopped (1.5 c. collard greens)
1 (16 oz) bag of frozen corn (I had a 12 oz pkg of mixed vegetables)
1 (16 oz) bag of frozen peas (see above)
2 T. Fair Trade Olive Oil

Place potatoes, onion, garlic and salt in a pot with water to cover the tops of the potatoes.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to med-high heat and simmer until potatoes are tender (about 20 minutes).  Add spinach, corn and peas.  Cook until water has completely evaporated, about 5 minutes.  Add olive oil, salt and pepperto taste, and saute until spinach is tender.  Remove from heat and mash entire mixture until it resembles mashed potatoes.  Print Recipe


Now I am headed to Parish Council meeting where we need to make a decision about whether or not our school should remain open.  It has suddenly taken on a different meaning for me now that I know we may be needing a good school in 5 years.  May God's will be done.

Not only was this a great meal for Meatless Monday, I am also sharing it at Thrifty Thursday.

We are Thriving at Home and we would love for you to join us.



2 comments:

  1. Wendy Mukimo looks just the way its prepared in Kenya. We tend to use white corn more but nowadays some of use the yellow one too.Its a hearty meal all in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly delicious Mayuri and I'm glad my recipe was authentic. Thanks for checking it out.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.