Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Bitte besuchen Sie uns zum Abendessen (Please join us for dinner)

Tonight's stop is Germany.  I will be making a couple recipes that have become regulars for us.  Wiener Schnitzel served with Sweet and Sour Cabbage.  I got these recipes from Cuisine at Home, Issue 49.  This was published in 2005 so that gives you some idea how long I have been making it.  I have changed the recipe very little, if at all, over the years.  I am writing the recipe using boneless pork chops.  I am using loin chops with the bone and saving the bones and trimmings for a meal next week.  My pork, like my chicken, does not come boneless.



Wiener Schnitzel
adapted from Cuisine at Home

8  boneless pork loin chops, 1" thick
1/2 c. flour, seasoned to taste with salt and pepper
3 eggs, beaten
2 c.bread crumbs (I am using fresh today from my leftover Italian Bread)
3 T. olive oil
3 T. butter
1/4 c. dry white wine
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. half and half
6 T. butter

Place each piece of pork in a plastic bag and pound with a meat mallet to 1/4" thickness.  Place seasoned flour, eggs and bread crumbs into 3 separate shallow bowls. Dredge each piece of meat in the flour, then the eggs, then the crumbs.  Set aside until all meat is prepared.  Heat 3T oil and 3T butter together in a large saute pan over med high heat.  Saute pork for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.  Keep warm in an oven or under a heat lamp.

Deglaze the pan with wine, scraping up any bits stuck to the pan.  Add the lemon juice and simmer for a few minutes.  Add the cream and simmer until reduced by half, about 1 or 2 minutes.  Turn off heat and whisk in the 6 T. of butter, 1 T. at a time.  Place a dollop of Mashed Potatoes on each plate, overlap slightly with the meat and pour sauce over both.  Print Recipe


Sweet and Sour Cabbage
Adapted from Cuisine at Home

3 or 4 slices of bacon, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 apple, cored, peeled and diced
1 T. flour
2/3 c. apple cider vinegar
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 small head red cabbage, shredded

Fry bacon in a large saute pan. Pour off most of the drippings (leave a couple of Tablespoons in the pan).  Add onion and apple to the pan with the bacon and drippings and cook over med heat until onions are translucent and softened, about 5 min.  Whisk in the flour and cook for a couple minutes longer. Stir in vinegar, sugar, broth salt and pepper then add the cabbage and toss until cabbage is wilted, about another 5 minutes or so.  Print Recipe

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of wiener schnitzel but had no idea what it was. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I will have to try this too. Richard would love it

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.