Sunday, January 12, 2014

Weekend Wrap Up

Last night after Mass we took Jen and Randy out for dinner at Louis' Chop House.  This is one of my favorite restaurants and I am lucky because one of Frank's groups that he represents gives him a gift card for it each year as a Christmas gift.  I had the surf and turf last night....it was delicious!!

We were going to go see Mr. Banks after dinner but we got busy talking and enjoying each other's company so much that we spent 3 hours at dinner and missed the show.  When we got home we watched "Life of Pi" which none of us had seen yet.  All I can say is WOW!!!  This movie was filled with symbolism and was very deep....we enjoyed it but it was also a disturbing movie for me. 

We got up this morning and Frank made us a wonderful breakfast of blueberry pancakes and bacon.  Jen and Randy headed home and Frank and I headed up to work on the attic

John and Kirsten are coming for dinner tonight.  We are having Chopped Salad, Roast Chicken, Potato Galette and Glazed Carrots.   We were originally scheduled for Steamed Green Beans but Kirsten is a bean hater.....sad but true....

This Potato Galette is adapted from one that I got out of Bon Appetit many years ago.  I no longer have the original recipe but here is my adaptation. It is like a huge potato pancake.  Enjoy.

 
Heat oil in large non stick skillet.
Add one package of potatoes.
Press down with a spatula.
Season with Salt and Pepper.
 
 
Add dollops of Cheese in center.
They will spread when you put on the next layer of potatoes.
 
 
Add the second bag of potatoes.
Season with Salt and Pepper.
Press down with spatula.
 
 
Cook until the bottom of the potato galette is brown and crispy.
Turn out onto a rimless baking sheet.
Add more oil to the pan.
Allow to heat and then slide potatoes back into pan.
Crispy side will be up.
 
 
When the bottom is brown and crispy turn out onto your serving dish.
In this case I have turned it onto a baking sheet because I made it ahead of time
When I am ready to serve it, I will reheat it in a 350* oven for 15 minutes.
It will heat through and recrisp.
I cut it into wedges and serve them on a platter.
 
Potato Galette

2 pkgs.  Shredded Potatoes found in the dairy case
3 T. cooking oil  (I normally use coconut but Kirsten is allergic so today I used olive oil)
1 small package herbed cheese ( I use Allouette)

Heat 1 1/2 T. cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Place contents of one package of potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the pan, pressing down with a spatula.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Dollop the cheese over the center of the potatoes leaving about 1/2" on the edges plain.  Press the contents of the second bag of potatoes over the cheese layer.  Cook for about10-15 minutes, pressing down with a spatula, until the potatoes are crispy and brown on the bottom. Place a large, rimless baking sheet over the pan and carefully flip it over allowing the potatoes to fall out onto the baking sheet.    The crispy side will be up.  Return the skillet to the burner and add remaining cooking oil, allow to heat and then slide the galette back into the pan with the crispy side showing.  Cook for another 10-15 minutes until second side is brown and crispy.
Cut into wedges and serve.  Print Recipe
* Note these can be made ahead of time and reheated in a 350* oven for 15 minutes.  Leave at room temperature until ready to reheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.